How to Make a Towel Swan
Simple Instructions and Video for Making a Towel Swan at Home
Posted: December 30, 2020
Our towel animals are always popular with guests, and very simple to make at home. Today, we'll start with the swan, but will details the steps for making elephants in a future post.
Making a Swan from Towels - A How-To Video
Step-by-Step Instructions for Folding Your Towels into a Swan
- You'll need two towels to make a swan. We use a hand and bath towel, but any sized towels will probably work equally as well.
- Begin by spreading the bath towel flat on your work surface in "landscape" orientation, and putting your finger in the middle of the top edge of the towel.
- From that center point, fold the top edges down at about a 45 degree angle, as if you are making a paper airplane.
- Keeping your finger on the point, begin rolling the folded edge of the towel towards the center line. Keep the twist tight near the point, and don't worry about the "tail" part for now.
- Reverse positions with your hands, and roll the second folded edge towards the center line. The tighter the twist, the better the swan will hold its shape later on.
- When you have about 15 or 20 cm tightly rolled, you can stop. Hold the rolled portion tightly, and shake out the loose part of the towel. Then flip it onto your work surface with the rolled portion pointing towards you, smooth side down.
- Fold the swan's neck back onto the body at the edge of the folded section.
- Starting at the tip of the towel swan's "nose", roll the towel towards the fold. Then release. If your first rolls were tight enough, the swan's neck will hold a curved shape.
- Congratulations - you've completed the hardest part, the swan's head, neck, and body!
- Take the hand towel and hold it in "portrait" orientation.
- Fold the entire towel accordion style, with each section measuring 3 or 4 cm.
- Pinch the accordion-folded towel in the middle, and let the ends drop.
- Place the "wings" on the back of the swan, just behind the neck and fan out as necessary.
- Voila! You have made a towel swan!
Are you new to making towel animals? We'd love to see your first attempt. Please send us pictures!