This group prove that, when organizing a cruise, patience and persistence pay off! Due to a variety of factors, their cruise morphed from a 6-day journey between Göcek and Marmaris to an 8-day / 7 night adventure along the Lycian coast and through the Kekova region. We're delighted that things have worked out so well!
- The Morris Family - Graydon ("Big Graydon"), Kay, Christian, and Jemma
- The Billson Family - Terry, Debbie, Graydon ("Little Graydon"), and Courtney
- Our guests arrived after 24 hours of event-filled travel from South Africa and we took off from Göcek harbour around 3:00PM. We headed directly across the Gulf of Fethiye to Gemiler Island, where everyone settled into the relaxing life on board a gulet.
- Graydon amazed us with his acrobatic diving skills and managed to wakeboard behind our little dinghy.
- It was an early night to bed as everyone was tired and we face a major travel day tomorrow.
- Today's journey started just after 5:00AM as we headed south from Gemiler Island, along the stretch of rugged coastline that includes Butterfly Valley and Patara Beach.
- Our first stop of the day was a teal and turquoise coloured bay just outside of Kalkan for swimming, snorkelling, and rest.
- After a bit of a rest, we continued westward towards the upscale resort town of Kaş. Captain Oktay anchored just outside of the Kaş harbour and everyone dinghied in for a visit (and some shopping).
- Our final destination of the day was the Kanyon outcroppings located mid-way between Kaş and the Greek island of Meis (also called Kastellorizo). While anchored, we saw a magnificent sunset in the west at the same time as the full moon (and Jupiter!!!) rose in the east.
- After breakfast, we lifted anchor to continue our journey towards the Kekova region. An impromptu dance party broke out about half-way through the journey. Everyone "boogied on down" to traditional Turkish music!
- Arriving in the Kekova region, we slowed down the boat and cruised passed the Sunken City of Kekova. Once past the sunken ruins, Captain Oktay turned the boat around and we anchored under the magnificent Simena castle.
- Everyone took the opportunity to hike to the castle ruins AND enjoy some fabulous home-made ice-cream, which the village is known for.
- Preferring a slightly quieter anchorage for the rest of the day, we lifted anchor and continued about 30 minutes farther east to spend the remainder of the day and overnight in Gökkaya region, where "The Youngs" enjoyed a lively night out in the local pirate bar.
- The group decided to skip the optional excursion to the St. Nicholas Church, the ancient ruins of Myra, and Andriake Interpretive Center, so we made a quick stop in Demre before turning and round and heading back the way we came. We cruised past Sunken City and the Simena castle a final time, stopping in the rustic Turkish village of Uçağiz to replenish the water tanks and explore the ruins and tombs scattered nearby.
- Water tanks filled, we headed away from the small marina and anchored in the nearby Kekova region for lunch and a swim.
- After lunch, we lifted anchor and cruised for about 2 hours back to Binder Bay near the resort town of Kaş. Half the group headed back into town (in search of the perfect bath suit!), the other half relaxed on board as the day wound down. We enjoyed a feast of steamed sea bass before heading to bed.
- Shortly after breakfast at Binder Bay, Captain Oktay raised anchor and we made the short journey to Kalkan. We dropped anchor just outside the harbour entrance so everyone could spend some time exploring the town (and shopping!).
- Hot and tired, everyone returned to the boat and we cruised about 20 minutes to Yeşil Köy to spend the remainder of the day enjoying the breezy bay.
- Terry, Christian, and Little Graydon headed out into the bay for some kite surfing, but equipment problems and uncooperative winds hindered their gallant efforts.
- Today started early - 4:30AM early! We left Kalkan and headed back up along the coast - nearly 5 hours in rough water. The conditions were poor, so we only slowed down for a "cruise by" at Butterfly Valley, and finally anchored at a small cove near Ölüdeniz for breakfast. After the meal, everyone headed to the famed Blue Lagoon for a relaxed visit.
- After lunch at Ölüdeniz, we lifted anchor and returned to Gemiler Island for the rest of the day and evening. Captain Oktay caught some fabulous calamari while we were anchored in the ancient harbour.
- We lifted anchor before breakfast for the 2 hour cruise across the Gulf of Fethiye, back to the Göcek Islands. First stop, Hamam Bay where there are ruins of an ancient bath house supposedly built for Cleopatra and Marc Antony in 40BC.
- Ozie helped a fellow sailor anchor his sailboat (the "Proud Cat") amd we got to meet the world adventurer, Mike.
- Mid-afternoon, we lifted anchor once more, cruising past Bedri Rahmi Bay (fish painting) and onwards to Kitle Bükü for the night.
- Dinner on the final night was a feast - steak - and celebration. Everyone in the group had the chance to add a fabric strip to the "CONGRATULATIONS" banner.
- Last swim and breakfast at Kitle Bükü before heading into Göcek harbour to say our goodbyes.
Cruise Highlights Photo Gallery
Click on any image to enlarge.