An Action Packed Cruise for Scuba Lovers
Cruising Kekova with the Hendry Family
When George described his family's cruise requirements to us, we knew the Kekova route would be a perfect fit. Small seaside towns to explore, opportunities for scuba diving, and as much "sail time" as possible.
George and Ails, Jonny and Clare, Claire and Alex
Captain Oktay, Chef Ozan, Sailor Hakan, Sue
Departure from Göcek HarbourGemiler Island, Turkey
|3.||Sunken City, Turkey Simena, Turkey|
|4.||Myra, Demre, Turkey St. Nicholas Church, TR Kekova Region, Turkey|
|6.||Butterfly Valley, Turkey Öludeniz, Turkey|
|7.||Göcek Islands, Turkey|
Return to Göcek Harbour after breakfast
How It All Played Out
Day 1 - Göcek Harbour to Gemiler Island
- After stocking up on dark rum and ginger ale, (and with a bit of drama due to catching an underwater cable in the marina) we lifted anchor and left Göcek harbour. We made the 3 hour trip to Gemiler Island in breezy, but very pleasant conditions.
- We anchored at historic Gemiler Island for the night, and after some fun in the water, most of the group headed to the island's peak to watch the sunset over the Mediterranean.
- Captain Oktay barbequed sea bream at the front of the boat - a most delicious dinner!
- Guitars came out after dinner for an evening of music, laughter and friendship. Claire and Jonny entertained us for hours, and passengers from a nearby boat came over to enjoy the tunes.
- A stiff breeze started around 11PM and continued into the early hours of the morning, but Claire and Alex managed to sleep on deck without getting blown away.
Day 2 - Gemiler Island to Kalkan to Kaş
- 6AM came early and dark as the crew woke up to prepare for the 5 hour journey to Kalkan. Anchor lifted around 6:30AM and we made the incredibly smooth journey with relative ease. Breakfast was served enroute, just after we passed Patara Beach.
- We anchored in a large turquoise-coloured bay near Kalkan for several hours before lifting anchor again to begin the eastward journey to Kaş.
- Shortly after leaving the protected waters of the bay, Captain Oktay caught a tuna! Then, we resumed course, passing the Greek island of Meis (Kastellorizo) and continued for a couple of hours, eventually stopping at the seven islands outside of Kaş for the night.
Day 3 - Kaş to the Kekova Region
- Happy birthday, George!
- We departed from the collection of small islands as the sun was rising after a rolling night at anchor. Captain Oktay let out his fishing line as we made our way eastward towards the Kekova region . Fish were spotted, but nothing took the bait during the 2 hour trip.
- We cruised past Sunken City and then turned Arkadaslik around and anchored at the base of Simena castle. Everyone headed ashore to explore the tiny village and enjoy some of the best home-made ice-cream in the galaxy.
- Then we continued a bit farther along towards the Gökkaya area and discovered St. George's Bay where we spent the rest of the day. Amazing!
- George celebrated his day from beginning to end with champagne, gifts (including swim trunks, shirts, and an Arkadaslik Yachting crew t-shirt), love, and laughter with his family. There was even a birthday cake - served to the accompaniment of "The Birthday Song" - for dessert.
- Just before dessert, a few courageous souls went for a night-time swim. (Most, but not all, wore bathing suits.)